Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dangers, Toils, and Snares

"Through many dangers, toils and snares...
I have already come...

These familiar words are etched deeply in my mind. I have no memory of hearing this song for the first time. I have sung it all my life.

But tonight, for some reason, these words tore themselves loose from the rest of this verse of John Newton's "Amazing Grace"  to run freely in my mind. I know these words. I sing these words. Tonight I pondered them.

1. I have come through many dangers...


Dangers, the perils of life, threaten each of us. We each tread close to the precipice daily. The trail is muddy, and the fall is steep and long. I am surrounded by near misses, some of which I am aware. Others, I've no doubt, occur, of which I know nothing...

Yet I am here...

Ponder God's promise to Israel:

“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.
 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you."      Isaiah 53:1b,2

2. I have come through many toils

Toils. Hard work. Sweat. Blisters. Worry.  Life isn't easy. The human condition is one of struggle. Sometimes will smile with satisfaction at the product of our labors. Sometimes we pour our sweat and blood into our given task and watch the fires of misfortune devour our labor or the wind of ill will tear down what we've tried so hard to build...

But I'm still here...and I hear my Lord say to me...

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

3. I have come through many snares

Snares?! Snares are not the circumstances of life!  Fatigue does not create snares either. Snares are deliberate. Someone wants to catch me. Someone wants to put me down and take me out. Someone is waiting for me to fall, so that he may pounce and kill. Satan hates me. He hates my family. He hates mankind. His stated mission is to steal, kill and destroy.

Yet, I remain...and I can sing with the Psalmist...

"The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
" I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised,
and I am saved from my enemies."   Psalm 18:2,3

Of course, if you read the biography of John Newton, the author of "Amazing Grace" you will see an inspiring story.  It is also quite likely that if you will really stop and look at your own biography, you will also realize more fully...

"'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far...
and Grace will lead me home."


Thank God for Grace. I truly hope to meet up with each of you at "home" one of these days.

Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment. Please keep it civil.