Saturday, June 7, 2014

Consumerism "Worship"

I am both a minister and a salesman. I have the salesman job, as they say, "to support my preaching habit".  

Now I know I am not the only guy who has both a calling and a vocation, but I do believe that wearing both of these hats does, at times, give me a little extra insight into people and why they do what they do. For instance, we all know that $999 is just $1000 minus $1. Everyone knows the practice of "rounding down" exists, but it is used because it works. It is not dishonest or deceitful. You know exactly what you are getting, but it is used in retail because, despite all  logic, it works. It is my experience that customers have become so accustomed to things ending in 9's that any other number seems to disturb them. In some weird twist of circular reasoning retailers must end their prices with 9's because retailers always end their prices with 9's.
Sometimes I take my "retail brain" to church...and the Christian book store...and let it listen to Christian radio...
and my retail antennae start buzzing...

You see, if you could time travel to any era of the church, in any part of the world, there are a few things you would find that remain constants. Christians gather together. They pray together. They worship together. They learn together...and then they worship and pray some more. These are fundamental facets of what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ. By its very nature, at the core of its existence, are the practices  of prayer, worship, and preaching. These practices are Biblical, and necessary for the health of the Church.

Now we time travel back to our own time and culture. By the standards of past centuries, even the poorest among us are wealthy. Think about the things you have that practically no one had 150 years ago: indoor plumbing, refrigeration, fresh produce year round (that someone else grew), electric lights, and the ability to talk to almost anyone you know with the push of a button. You also have access to nearly unlimited amusement.  

And I am thankful for all of those things...except for the  amusement.

By definition "a-muse" means to "not think".  

It is my observation, that the cultural obsession with amusement has deeply rooted itself in the church
Let the pastor preach a moderately deep, theologically sound sermon and many people's eyes begin to glaze over... Don't make me think. 

Call for a spontaneous "testimony service" and many will scrunch down in panic... Don't make me think.

Try to draw people into worship...well you know...don't make me think. 

You see, instead of gathering together with the intent of contributing to worship, I suspect many of us gather with the intent to consume worship as if we were going to a concert.What we are really seeking is amusement. We want to be entertained. And if the musicians mess up, or the singer is off key, or too loud, or too quiet, or too fast, or too slow, or the pastor preaches too deep, or too shallow, or the prayer is too long, or the Sunday School teacher rambles, or senile Sister Suzie embarrasses us, or the unruly kid three pews back disturbs us or...(etc.)... then I just didn't "get fed" or [use spiritual voice here]  "I didn't feel God there".


  Really?

"Well, I put my money in the offering and I should get something for it."

  Oh, I see. Consumerism. I pay. Amuse me. 

If you try to dance your pastor on that string it will kill him.

If he agrees to dance on that string it will kill you.

Here is the thing. Biblical worship means that I come to contribute  worship not consume worship, even if (especially if) it requires sacrifice on my part. I "worship" because I deem God to be "worthy" of my adoration. My walk with God on a daily basis prepares me to give to God  when I am among His people.

To be honest in church not every song rocks my world...
not every lesson gives me a great insight on life...
not every sermon I hear (or preach) inspires me to conquer spiritual giants...but it's not about me. It's about Jesus.

This does not mean we should settle for mediocrity. Every musician, singer, preacher, teacher and window washer should strive to hear from God and perform their sacred duties with fidelity, reverence and awe...and if I sit in the congregation, so should I. Worship is not passive.

Worship requires participation, and personal contribution. If I expect a pastor to come to the pulpit prepared, and I expect musicians and worship leaders to come prepared, shouldn't I also arrive at the time of corporate worship with my heart prepared to do my part? 

God help me to live a lifestyle of worship so that I may be totally consumed in you!

"By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name." [Hebrews 13:15 KJV]


IMAGE ATTRIBUTION: By Peter17 (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment. Please keep it civil.